Sunday, July 10, 2011

What is Security?

I read an interesting article this morning on mobile banking. Now do not get me wrong - I am looking forward to mobile banking but the article raised another question in my mind - what exactly is security?

There are lots of people around the world using mobile payments today. With the advent of Google Wallet, Serve, VISA Wallet, ISIS and others combined with the rollout of NFC enabled phones this will only grow. Of course as this begins to grow these companies will focus their attention on making sure that their systems cannot be breached. The last thing they need is someone to pay for something they did not buy or to have the bitCoins situation of suspected account breaches occur. The use of strong authentication and fraud detection improves the security posture and the retailers themselves are bound to protecting data to maintain their agreements with payment systems such as VISA and MasterCard, so one would say the system should be as secure as the payment systems in use today.

But is it truly a secure system? The WSJ article discusses one of the big concerns that came out of the NSTIC privacy conference - reuse of data. What information is the payment system I am using or the retailer I am dealing with collecting? How are they using this? If a retailer collects my cell phone number as part of the authentication process can they keep that data tied to what I bought and the next time I walk near their store text me a coupon? That of course is the most minor case here.

This is yet another demonstration of the need for privacy controls at the device and within the relying party. At the device it should come as a form of an information or attribute release option, defaulted for some transaction types and interactive for others. At the relying party, in this case retailer, some form of opt-in mechanism for data handling. Maybe I want the coupons - but give me the option.

So is a system secure if the user does not have control of their privacy or is it good enough to say that the system will not have a serious breach? It is a interesting question.

As can be seen there are still lots of areas of specifications that need to happen. Are these areas for policy definition within something like PCI or are the areas here something that need to be included in legislative discussions? Lots to be done and how it happens, I believe, will determine how successful these systems are.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: