Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Future of Trust

We talk a lot about trust in the world of security. "Do we trust the code?" "Do we trust that the user is doing what they should?" "Do we trust that the email or website is safe?" But what do we mean by trust in these circumstances?

Trust was once one of those things that laregly involved experience. It may be your experience or an acquaintance's experience but it was based on experience. I put trust in a mechanic because my best friend recommended him based on his experience. My experience may change the degree of trust I have but that initial trust is based on my friend's experience. I trust that my doctor will give me good advice when it comes to my healthcare because my experience tells me that he has not done anything for me to expect anything else.

In my mind trust has to do with expectations. Will the outcome of some event be what was expected and desired. When I receive an email from an email address that indicates it is from a work colleague will I discover that it actually is from that work colleague, that they created and sent it to me, and that it has not been altered from the time they created it until the time I read it. Of course there are all kinds of elements to this idea of trust but I believe that, fundamentally, trust comes down to the result of some action requiring me to "trust" something being what I expected to happen given my believe of the factors around that trust decision.

Now this is where it gets interesting as trust does come with "qualifiers". I may go to a restaurant, based on a recommendation from a friend, but I may have a different expectation then going to a restaurant I have visited in the past. This differing expectation may be the result of knowledge that I have different tastes or expectations as to quality than my friend. So my level of trust that I will have a GREAT meal may be different depending on why I choose this restaurant.

Of course these are very simplistic views of trust and largely based on known personal relationships. This environment is not the world we operate in today. Today, beyond the personal relationships, elements of trust are in just about every facet of our electronic life. Zappos' web servers trust me based on the fact that I know a username and password combination. Zappos raises the level of trust based on past successful transactions and knowledge that I demonstrate in the transaction process. I trust websites based on data presented to me about the SSL or TLS connection. The Hootsuite authentication server trusts in the MyOpenID authentication service when I use MyOPenID to logon to my Hootsuite account. Whether it is machine to person, person to machine or machine to machine there are elements of trust that affect us each and every day.

Of course for businesses they need to ensure that they are mitigating the risks associated with the trust they are putting into these transactions, based on many factors. These same businesses must also demonstrate to other businesses that they are implementing processes that will raise the trust level to an appropriate level for transactions. This may be in the form of strong authentication protocols, properly protecting data in transit and at rest, and effectively protecting the infrastructure from damage. A gap in the processes may allow bad transactions, a loss of data or a loss of service. A business that faces these exposures then faces the possibility of financial loss, brand damage or public exposure of the loss which in turn has follow-on consequences.

Of course all of that is today, in a world which is vastly more impacted by technology than 100 years ago, or for that matter even 20 years ago. Now lets think about ten years from now ....

Today we have UAVs flying overhead but ten years from now there will be UMVs (unmanned motor vehicles). What will be our expectation then of the trust infrastructure. I live in the DC area and my expectation of manned vehicles is relatively low today but today I know someone is behind the wheel and can react. When these vehicles are unmanned one will need to trust that the intelligence behind the vehicle will be able to react but it will need reliable data from other vehicles, highway signs and characteristics (Slow curve ahead ---- Steep hill ---- Bridge freezes before roadway) and possibly some central facility for routing due to traffic etc. The trust infrastructure here must be able to provide strong authentication and reliability of the data, and in many cases provide privacy of the data as I may not want my home address sent clear text across airwaves.

We need to make sure that today we look at trust as the core element of what we do and what we are building. We have for too long added security, and the trust elements, to applications and business processes after the fact. These ideas of trust must be part of the base design principle. As we move forward with these new ideas of the automated world we will not be able to "learn from our lessons" as the impact of bad design decisions may be significant. Lets design security and trust in from the beginning.

Trust me on this


No comments: