Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Report from NSTIC Privacy at MIT

I have attended the initial two NSTIC conferences and I think I can safely say that things are ..... interesting. My first comment is that it is quite obvious that there is still a lot of work to be done. I firmly believe that in the governance and privacy areas there is one big thing that needs to be done and that is to take what has been accomplished in other areas and map those to see where there is intersection and then see if that is something that will be useful for NSTIC. I say this because there are lots of good things going on in a number of areas but right now I think trying to take each one of those and to map to NSTIC or to see which piece is useful may be overwhelming. I hope that as responses to the NOI come in that a process like this will help to ease the burden.

The conference itself was thought provoking. Some ideas that struck me were ideas of data ownership and pseudonymity versus anonymity. There were many others but these two struck me in particular.

On the data ownership side there was much discussion on data ownership. Certainly it is easier to define ownership of some elements of data including things like credit card numbers, social security numbers, birthdate, address, weight, height etc .... but what of other types of identifying data? When I buy something online at apple.com is the fact that I bought something make that my data element or does it belong to Apple? Certainly Apple needs to know who to charge and what and where to ship but outside of that, once the transaction is complete, do they need to keep that data if I do not want them to? Should they be allowed to tell Verizon that I just bought a 3G iPad 2 with a Verizon chip in it? These "data breadcrumbs" are left by all kinds of transactions and the question of ownership is interesting.

But of course it is not just ownership - once I have ownership how do I protect that data from improper use or for that matter any use that I do not want? This is an interesting challenge in terms of privacy and in the process does it step on things like tracking (web tracking being looked at legislatively today)? Does it also step on business model? Experian, Transunion and others keep data on me that they use to provide market targets to other service and product providers. What happens to these entities and the downstream providers, who use the information, if we change how those breadcrumbs get picked up?

The other interesting data point was the pseudonymity versus anonymity thoughts. For those of us that believe we can be anonymous on the Internet I present an excerpt from an LA Times blog on the possible exposing of LulzSec. "The A-Team said LulzSec's members were a product of the hacking culture found on the Website 4chan, which is rooted in anonymity, making some feel invincible. .... "The Internet by definition is not anonymous," the group said. "Computers have to have attribution. If you trace something back far enough you can find its origins.""

So do we accept that we will at best be pseudonymous? Does that lead to multiple identities or multiple personae within a single identity? In either case it becomes critical that we prevent linkage between these unless that linkage is driven by the identity owner. This idea is one I will be thinking about some more - it is definitely interesting.

There were many more great ideas shared and I would encourage anyone with interest to visit the NIST NSTIC site to follow the updates.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: