Friday, June 24, 2011

Why PIV-I?

I wanted to followup on the discussion of PIV-I that I started a couple of weeks back. That discussion centered around what is PIV-I. As is the case the "what" has to be paired with a "why". Over the last couple of weeks I have also brought up a couple of other issues that tie in here that can be summarized with "authentication architectures".

The last few months have seen a significant proliferation of attacks against authentication systems: RSA SecurID, a defense contractor having their Active Directory administration services breached; and the Comodo attack against an administrative function. These attacks, and more, were intended to achieve one thing and that is to be able to get deeper into systems than a normal attack would and to potentially extend the attack reach outside of the initial target.

So how does this play to PIV-I?

PIV-I does  a number of things: it defines a standard issuance process; it defines a standard token; and it defines a standard token interface. The PIV-I specification allows organizations to readily see that another organizations have implemented an authentication mechanism that is measurable. Once you know that the mechanism is measurable then you can decide how it meets your requirements so you can decide if you can trust these credentials, and for what purpose. A good example of this is within the US Government agencies looking to PIV-I as a way to be able to easily work with external parties, contractors, suppliers, partners and other governments like State and Local. An example of this happening is that DOD has created a list of commercial SSPs that issue PIV and PIV-I credentials that can be trusted within DOD. So there is a business reason to use PIV-I, a strong mechanism to allow for digital interoperability at a high degree of assurance.

There is also a business reason for PIV-I based on the above mentioned attacks. A PIV-I token is a FIPS validated credential with strong protection mechanisms. Too many wrong passwords and the token is no longer usable. Private keys cannot leave the card. It is a PIN protected device; and has a biometric capability for additional assurance requirements. On top of these the credential is issued through a process that is well defined, requires in person proofing, and is separate from the relying party application. This last piece is the important element as it provides a safety barrier in the case of attack against the authentication system, as discussed in the last post. Another good read on the subject can be found here.

So PIV-I is an authentication mechanism that provides a well defined process for issuance, a strong credential  for identity (physically and logically) and mitigates some of the risk factors that were in place with the attacks against authentication systems that have happened over the last many months.

Next will be a discussion on using PIV-I in a solutions architecture.

No comments: